How twisted can things get?
- The digital parts are ported from the hardware line by line, the wavetables byte by byte, and the analog parts are modeled component by component.
- The first-ever officially licensed Buchla plug-in.
- Perfect for screeching, harsh and digital sounds.
With the 259e, the answer is — pretty twisted. A coveted dual oscillator module now available for Softube Modular, Buchla 259e Twisted Waveform Generator is the first-ever officially licensed plug-in version of a Buchla product. While the unit can be used for traditional synth patches, its unusual inner workings makes Buchla 259e excel at metallic, cold, harsh, digital and screeching sounds.
"The Twisted Waveform Generator is one of Buchla's many complicated and mysterious modules. I honestly did not expect a digital version to capture the richness of this maverick device. But, Softube has, amazingly, captured everything I have, so far, imagined about the oscillator. The Twisted plugin is now an important element in my Buchla + Computer performances."
Artist, Synthesist and Musical Pioneer
The first ever officially licensed software version
The Buchla 259e Twisted Waveform Generator plug-in for Modular features all the digital waveshaping, aliasing noise and foldover frequencies of the original hardware.
Expand the possibilities
Enjoy the self-modifying, screeching, snarling responses from the original's downright odd inner workings. The 259e is a unique addition to the Modular ecosystem.
What is a Twisted Waveform Generator anyways?
The 259e consists of two separate oscillators — Principal and Modulation — where Modulation can be used either to modulate the Principal oscillator or as a separate generator of audible notes. Furthermore, the sine wave generated by the Principal oscillator is simultaneously applied to two of the eight available waveshape tables. A morph voltage pans between the two tables and a warp voltage varies the amplitude of the sinusoidal (driving) waveform. Both these functions can be modulated by the Modulation oscillator.
Here's where it gets really twisted
Three of the waveshape tables are actually not tables in the classical sense — they are simply portions of the 259e operating program, full of unpredictable noise and frequent silences. This is the innovative Mem Skew mode, possibly the most unique feature of the Buchla 259e. When these tables are selected, the FM controls are re-assigned to table scanning functions and the FM inputs become table modulators.
More than traditional sounds
To sum it up, while the Buchla 259e can certainly be used for more traditional sounds, it excels at creating otherworldly twisted digital sonic landscapes. Which is why it is one of the most coveted synth modules on the market.
"Three years ago I purchased a Buchla Easel and it really changed the way I compose my music. The Softube Buchla 259e makes me not miss my Easel too much while travelling."
Producer, DJ, remixer and artist
- Made for Modular, Softube's Eurorack platform. Learn more about Modular
- The first-ever officially licensed Buchla plug-in
- Unique and desirable oscillator
- Perfect for screeching, harsh and digital sounds
- Can also be tamed to sound quite smooth and organic and morph smoothly between these softer sounds and the more in-your-face sounds
- The digital parts are ported from the hardware line by line, the wavetables byte by byte, and the analog parts are modeled component by component
- macOS Big Sur 11, Monterey 12, Ventura 13
- Windows 10 (64-bit), Windows 11
- Softube account
- iLok account
- Computer with AU, VST, VST3 and/or AAX compatible DAW host software
- Internet access (for downloading installers and managing licenses)